Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Reality TV

I gotta admit, I like tv.  From no good, trashy reality shows (Big Rich Texas anyone?) to comedies.  I am easily entertained.  Most of these characters I have not a damn thing in common with.  Many are loud, gossip too much, have all kinds of plastic surgery, don't work, and mainly focus on themselves and their appearance.

One of the shows I watch however, Giuliana & Bill definitely strikes a cord within me.  I watched before they had their miscarriage and before I knew they were going through IVF.  And that was wayy before I had even considered IVF as an option for me.  Bill reminds me of J Bird- he's caring, family-oriented, funny, analytical and his wife's partner in crime. I don't know if my personality is necessarily like Giuliana's, but she definitely says things that I would say or have said and reacts to situations a lot like I do, mainly using humour to lighten the mood.

During the second episode of the new season J Bird and I just looked at each other and laughed because B & G's interactions mirrored ours.  G is sitting on the couch and tells B she needs her computer to do some "research".  She then tells him that she found this great message board for women going through breast cancer. All Bill can say is, "Bad idea. Bad idea!" Bill goes on to say that unless someone has an MD behind their name, don't take any advice from them...like you've been doing. This is when we looked and each other and laughed.

I don't know how much time I've spent on the net doing "research".  I've been through 6 years of college and yes I know what a valid website or source should look like, yet everyday there I am on group message boards or reading people's blogs.  It's something that my husband and Bill just haven't tapped into- the power of hearing other people's experiences and what their journey has been like...on the web.

Giuliana goes on to read descriptions of people's terrible experiences with chemo, but also finds the things they recommend to help through the process.  All the while Bill has his head in his hands and is shaking his head.  I know lots of women spend their free time doing research, but it was just reassuring to see Giuliana on tv doing and saying the same things I would say and seeing her husband react in a similar way

No comments:

Post a Comment