Friday, April 27, 2012

Planting a good seed in bad soil

Yesterday we had our phone consultation with the doctor in Las Vegas.  It was scheduled for 6 pm our time, but they called me while I was at work around 1130 and said that the doctor may or may not have to do an emergency surgery later on and was wondering if I was available within the next hour to talk to him.  I told them I was at work and not with my husband, which I wanted to be for the call.  After texting with J Bird he said we should just go for it, because we would have been super disappointed if we didn't get to talk to him.  So I left work and drove to his work to have the call.

The call was very informative and a major part of it was the doctor discussing what our issues are and giving us knowledge about the issues.  Of course, with my extensive internet knowledge I knew just about everything he told us, however, it was reassuring to hear it directly from the source.  Then he told us it was a miracle that we had ever gotten pregnant! I was kinda surprised by this.  His reasoning was that the endometriosis didn't just begin to develop with the D & C, but that it had been there for years.

He said that a woman my age has a 30% chance of getting pregnant every month and that I have a 3% chance of getting pregnant every month.  Sheesh! He also feels that when women with endo get pregnant doing IUI, they get pregnant in spite of the fertility treatment, not because of it.  The doctor said that it was like, "Planting a good seed in bad soil." He said IVF is the way to go and that we have an 80-90% chance of getting preggers within two cycles.

I felt like this was an honest answer.  I know for a fact he doesn't tell everyone that they need more than one IVF, so it's not like he is looking to scam us out of money (he recommended we purchase a 2 cycle plan).  Also his clinic includes things like ICSI and assisted hatching at no extra cost whereas those treatments would cost a few thousand at others.

After speaking with him for 1.5 hours (and for free! woohoo) we decided that he was the man for the job.  He is knowledgable and recommends getting immunology testing done before IVF so that we can have a competent treatment plan.  We talked to the financial person last night and signed ourselves up for the 2 cycle plan! This includes 2 fresh cycles and as many Frozen Embryo cycles as possible with the left over eggs.

I was feeling a little nervous that we may have jumped the gun because we signed ourselves up for the June cycle.  We had talked previously about waiting until November, but really what's the point?  It's probably not going to happen naturally and this way we don't have to wait and think about it for such a long time.

I am so excited about the possibility of even being pregnant any time this year.  I always hope (and for one week a month-really believe) that I am/will get pregnant, but this just takes it to a whole other level.  The most amazing part of this process is that with our June cycle dates, I would get pregnant on exactly the same day I got pregnant before which means the same due date.  I am trying not to get my hopes up for that, in case it doesn't happen the first time, but what a coincidence!



1 comment:

  1. I am SO excited for you guys!! IT sounds like you have a great doctor with a plan. I had never thought of the analogy of "planting a good seed in bad soil" but it is so very true!

    ReplyDelete