Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Behavior Chart for toddlers

Before having children of my own, I seriously dreamed of the ways that I would get them to behave.  I knew so much of what I was doing with my clients could apply to my own family.  I had everything planned out in my head; behavior charts, positive behavior support rewards, consequences, time-outs etc.  I didn't take into account how fast time gets away from you. In the blink of an eye you have two 2 year-olds!  We haven't done anything formal except sign language training (which was awesome before they could speak and I believe helped their vocal skills take off) and time-outs.  Time-outs were introduced at 18 months because we have a biter.  Since the girls are always in close quarters it is very hard to prevent biting all the time, so we had to use an immediate consequence for her behavior.  We also encourage her to use her words when she gets upset, instead of biting.  But you know, impulse control isn't a 2 year-olds biggest strength.

I wanted to work on encouraging positive behaviors and always thought 2 years old was the earliest I would want to begin a behavior chart with a child.  My girls have pretty good behavior most days, but they struggle at times like any other kid. As a parent it is good to always have something in place for the days that they are struggling.

Obviously, you don't have to be an artist to make your own clip art lol


Here are the steps to creating a behavior chart for toddlers.  It takes a little planning, but it is worth it!

1) List 3-5 things behaviors that you want them to do.  Focus on what you WANT them to do.  How is a child supposed to learn if you only tell them what NOT to do? For instance, one of the behaviors I want to work on is not whining.  I worded it as: Use words in big girl voice.  This is tells them what behavior I am expecting.  I have one vague behavior listed as "be polite".  I wanted a space where I could "catch them being good".



2) Make a chart and make/buy stickers.  You can laminate the chart so that it is reusable or laminate stickers and put them on velcro.

3) Choose a reinforcer.  USE FOOD at first. Food is a primary reinforcer and will quickly make your behavior chart a success.  If there are food issues I can understand going with something else that is a sure bet, but really food is the easiest way to begin.   Pick 3 special treats that they do not get everyday. It should be small or easily broken into pieces.  Our three are m&m's, fruit snacks (one at a time) and marshmallows. 

Day 1- make it super easy to earn stickers. Every time you give a sticker, pair it with one piece of food.  This pairs the primary reinforcer with a secondary reinforcer and eventually you will fade the food out. Enthusiastically tell your child what they did to earn the sticker and have them place it on their chart. Deliver the food immediately, placing it directly in their mouth or hand.

Day 2- it is still easy to earn stickers, however, they have to earn 2 stickers for one piece of food.  I decided to fade the food quickly, but you you know your children's temperament best and can decide to fade more slowly if you choose. 

Day 3- 3 stickers = 1 piece of food

Day 4- 4 stickers = 1 piece of food or 3 min on the ipad.  I HIGHLY doubt my girls are going to choose food over the ipad.

Day 5- 5 stickers = 4 min on ipad.  We have finished pairing the stickers with food and moved onto the reward for good behavior.  Our chart has 20 spots for good behavior which means they could potentially spend 16 minutes a day on the Ipad.  

General tips for the behavior chart- Go over the chart with them several times a day in the beginning and talk about what good behavior you like to see.  NEVER take away stickers. They earned them and focusing on good behavior will create better behavior.  

I will give an update after we have been using the behavior chart for a few weeks! 


No comments:

Post a Comment