Friday, January 30, 2015

"Tot school"- Circle time

I read a blogpost a few weeks ago that got me motivated to structure formal learning time into the girls day.  I believe that children learn a lot through play with guidance and help from adults and peers.

Why: Jason and I have been informally teaching skills this way for 2 years, using books, puzzles, blocks, baby dolls and every other toy you can imagine.  With my background in education I figured that I may as well add in some preschool elements while I am staying at home! I want this to be a fun experience for them and truth be told, I feel like I am running out of time with just my two little girls! Baby boy will be here in two months so I am trying to make my time with them count.

When: Right after breakfast I have the girls go into the play room (which is slowly transforming into their classroom) and we start circle time.  I knew whatever I did, I had to keep it quick and entertaining!

Setting:  In the corner of the playroom. I purchased a calendar at a teacher/parent resource store and hung the various pieces on the wall, slightly out of reach unless they are standing on something. The girls sit on their chairs, but once we have some room I would like for them to sit on a carpet squares.  I bought a garment rack and will use carabiner clips to hang up a large lined tablet, with songs written on it and other "school" information.

Ready to learn!

One of my little helper

Calendar set up

Behavior charts are in the classroom corner.  I can quickly reinforce good behaviors when I see them.

What we do: I sing a transition song first, then a Welcome song where I shake their hands and encourage them to shake each other's hands. It's so funny because at first they just looked at me like I was crazy, but now they are getting into it. We sing a Days of the Week song and then then I ask one of them to be my helper and move the calendar to the current day of the week. We talk about any plans for that day and the next day(gymnastics, any visitors, outings). Then we sing the Months song and count the days on the calendar.  I have the other girl help me put up the correct date on the calendar.  If I still have their attention, I will sing the weather song and we look out the window and talk about what the current weather is.  Finally we sing the Goodbye song. The whole circle time lasts about 4 minutes.  It's super quick and that is really all the attention span they have right now.

Things to keep in mind: This is my children's first introduction to formal learning, so they have no idea what is expected of them until I ask and repeat instructions about 100 times. We have been doing it for two weeks now and they are catching on, but we still have days where they are wondering off, playing with the train table and that is totally age appropriate!  I  redirect them to sit in their chairs, sing the songs and get involved by putting up calendar pieces. They know that they can earn stickers and rewards if they do what is asked of them, so I am able to remind them of that, also.  I just want this to be a fun experience for them and hopefully they can learn while doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment