Friday, January 6, 2012

Getting back on the wagon


After all my Bah-humbuging we packed ourselves up and went up North to visit my fam.  We visited my family over about 5 days and it was really great to spend some quality time just hanging out and it was especially exciting to see my nephew.  We have seen him about every 3-4 months and it is crazy how much those grow over those few months! Last time we saw him he was like an inspector, curiously watching our every move and only smiling if we worked really, really hard for it.  This time he lavished us with smiles and even cocked his head to one side and shrugged his shoulders while smiling.  Completely mugging and we completely loved it.


 Our little party animal!

I can safely say I fell waaaay off the wagon in regards to my diet healthstyle.  There was gluten, dairy, and chocolate being offered everywhere when usually I don’t come into contact with all this food.  And really, who can pass up a Chinese buffet in the middle of an Amish market?? Not me!  My brother and his fiancĂ© did make a really good gluten- free meal with homemade lentil soup and vegetable k bobs with chicken and shrimp one day while we visited with them.

We received a juicer and a blender for xmas and J Bird and I were super excited to start mixing up some fruits and vegetables.  We purchased some protein called Amazing Meal, which is soy-free, dairy-free and gluten-free.  It definitely adds a certain...flavor to my smoothies, but it has pretty much every healthy ingredient I was looking for.  It includes: wheat grass, barley grass, alfalfa & kale, chlorophyll, antioxidants and essential fatty acids and 10 grams of complete protein, 6 grams of fiber in every serving.

Even though I have only been trying out the endo-diet for a few months, it has gotten a lot easier to find a variety of good foods.  At first I loaded up on only fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds because I just wasn’t sure what was safe to eat.  It seemed that I could stick to a vegan diet, but then any meat alternative seemed to be made of soy.  I have learned to navigate pretty well and I am (usually) content with my meals.

Here is a run-down of what I eat during a typical day:

Breakfast: Chex gluten-free cereal and Almond milk, loose leaf Green Tea

Second Breakfast (cause I need two! Usually after a workout so don’t judge me!): Juice with protein.  I have been experimenting with different fruits but the one I like is; 1 apple, 1 orange, 1 kiwi, piece of ginger, handful of strawberries and blueberries and half a scoop of protein

Lunch: I usually graze over lunch because of my work schedule I will just eat between meetings: Greek yogurt (an exception to the no-dairy rule because it helps to balance the flora in the stomach), homemade trail mix (peanuts, cashews, raisins, Craisins and sunflower seeds), coconut water and a banana.

Dinner: Progresso gluten-free soup and a salad (lettuce, spinach, Ken’s HM, egg, cucumber, tomato, and tortilla strips).

So as you can see I’m not making any fabulous meals, but I feel like I am getting a pretty good variety of foods and textures.

No comments:

Post a Comment