Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Day off and Retrieval


CD 10- Off Day
Today I woke up and didn’t have to take any shots! And to cap it off I slept up 7:30 woohoo.  Actually, I did wake up at 5am and my ovaries just felt like they were going to burst.  I think I was sleeping curled up on my side and the extra pressure was not feeling so great.  I was so scared that something was wrong.  I laid there for about 20 minutes worrying about OHSS, but then finally got back to sleep.

We saw What to Expect When You’re Expecting and it was actually a lot funnier than I thought it would be.  It didn’t get stellar reviews and we were the only people in the theatre but we thought it was funny.  The only thing that pissed me off was (spoiler alert) Elizabeth Banks character tries for 2 years to get pregnant and then one day she drinks wine, (after abstaining for 2 years) has spontaneous sex with her husband in a park and BOOM she gets pregnant.  Not a stereotype at all! “Just stop trying so hard!” “When you stop trying it will happen” or the best line, just because it was delivered by a doctor that we were seeing for a semen analysis, “Get a six pack and have sex!”.  To everyone who has every given this advice- you must have been right because it happened in the movie!

Ok, let me repress my angry infertile and go back to what I originally wanted to comment on.  I felt so bad for Elizabeth Banks.  I know she chose to do this role, but it couldn’t have been easy for her seeing the issues she has had conceiving.  For anyone who doesn’t know she used a gestational carrier recently to have her baby.  I am sure that she tried for a while and heard all of the ignorant comments that people can make.  I can’t imagine how tough it must have been for her to play an infertility stereotype (Stop trying and it will happen).

We ate at this chain buffet restaurant- Souplantation and Sweet Tomatoes.  It’s amahzing (think Penny from Happy Endings).   It’s a salad buffet with awesome toppings (julienned butternut squash, summer squash, beets, carrots, broccoli stems), but they also have unlimited soups, breads, muffins, and fro yo.  Needless to say we were kind of stuffed afterwards so we walked off our meal at the Premier Outlets South.

I am resting for the rest of the night and gearing up for tomorrow!  The retrieval is set for 10:30 am and we are to be there an hour in advance.  In preparation for anesthesia I cannot have any foods or liquids after 12 tonight so it’s a good thing we will be doing the retrieval in the morning, cause I likes to eat.  Praying that the follicles will be nice and ripe and that they will have eggs in them!





CD 11- Retrieval

There was a lot of pressure on my abdomen when I work up this morning; again I think I was lying on my side.  I looked in the mirror and it looked like I was about 3 months pregnant because my lower abdomen was so distended.

I was only at the doctor’s office for about 5 minutes before they took me back into the surgery area to start prep.  The nurse went through all of the do not’s and included was no swimming!  Which kind of stinks because I was planning on lounging around the pool and this weekend we are going to LA to go to the beach and sight see.  Oh well, at least I can have a glass of wine to make up for the no swimming rule during my 5 day wait J

The anesthesiologist took me into the surgical room and they propped my legs up in stir up-like contraptions.  The doctor started me on something that was just to relax me.  She told me she was Canadian so of course I was super excited to talk to her about that!  The last thing I remember is Dr Sher coming and everyone agreeing I look like Reese Witherspoon ha.

When I woke up I was in a good amount of pain, specifically on the right side.  J Bird was right by my bedside and he was rubbing my back.  He then told me that when I came back I was moaning in pain and flashing my lady parts around in the bed!  I don’t remember that part, but I know that I was trying to turn on my side to ease the pain, so sorry to anyone I flashed!  J Bird got me some pain medicine at that point and I asked for some Tylenol before I left.  When I stood up to get dressed I was surprised to feel pain in my rectum.  I thought it has something to do with the endometriosis, but when Dr. Sher came in to give results he said that it is not uncommon to feel pain everywhere in that region.

The final stats for the day: 18 eggs retrieved and 13 were mature! Wonderful retrieval.  I was still in pain when I left so I grabbed a small bite to eat and some Gatorade.  When I got to the hotel it hit me how tired I was so I curled up with my heating pad and took a 2-hour nap.  When I woke up I was feeling a ton better.

Tomorrow we will get the fertilization report so we are definitely looking forward to that.  Tonight I start the Progesterone in Oil shot!! I am anxious about it and I know J Bird would rather skip the shot but it is a necessary evil.

No comments:

Post a Comment