Thursday, June 21, 2012

Retrieval Day


CD 16 & CD 17- The big day- Transfer!

We hadn’t heard anything by 9:30 which was a huge relief.  I started drinking a liter of water at 10:30, because to add to the excitement they need you to have a full bladder- but not “uncomfortably full”- whatever the hell that means!  Don’t these people know I have the bladder of a 3 year old?  We left the hotel at 11 to be at SIRM by 1130 and on the drive there they told us to wait another 45 mins before coming in because they were running behind.  I appreciate them calling so that I didn’t have to sit in the wait room with a bursting bladder, but sheesh how much anticipating can they build?

I scheduled an acupuncture session to be held before and after transfer.  I have been faithfully going to acupuncture for the past few months and there was no more important time than after the transfer to hold all of the energy in.  Luckily, another blogger told me that the anesthesiologist moonlights as an acupuncturist so it was very easy to coordinate our schedules and have the acupuncture done in the same room as the transfer.

The acupuncturist was even able to leave some of the relaxing point needles in while they did the transfer which was great.  Dr. Sher came in and shook our hands and congratulated us on our beautiful “textbook” blastocysts.  He said they looked great and could not ask for anything better.  I asked him if he told everyone that and he and the nurses reassured me that he doesn’t, so that made J and I feel very optimistic!  Sher said that if I don’t get pregnant from one of the two embryos he is transferring that he will quit his job!  Well I hope my embabies don’t let a lot of infertile women down J 

The transfer went smoothly, the two most uncomfortable parts were that they had to use a catheter to relieve a tiny bit of urine and the speculum (because of the endo).  It was magical watching the two embryos being injected into my uterus.  It felt as though our struggles may be coming to an end.  The procedure took less that 10 minutes and then I had to lay there for 15 minutes until I was able to use a bed pan.  Wow, two methods I did not consider peeing today when I woke up.

The acupuncturist came back in a put more needles in me.  After she left J and I held hands in the dimly lit room and stared at the ultrasound monitor of our little embabies.  Jason Mraz’s “I won’t give up” came on the radio and it seemed to be a perfect fit to our journey.
Embabies

The big white blob in the middle is what we are excited about

I felt fantastic leaving the doctors office and we headed to the hotel for my 24 hours of modified bed rest.  Basically I can lay in bed, sit on the couch, go to the restroom and get up for about 5 minutes at a time.  J has been so wonderful, carrying my purse, opening doors, getting water, food, whatever it is that I need.  I couldn’t ask for a better partner through this process.

So for our last day on babycation we are just hanging out, finishing our CEU’s and watching some Downton Abbey!

  

2 comments:

  1. Eeek! I am so excited for you. Sending you and those beautiful embies lots of love.

    xo

    ReplyDelete